Dorota A. James
ASSOCIATE ATTORNEY IN THE SAN DIEGO OFFICE
- University of San Diego School of Law, LL.M, honors, 2014.
- University of San Diego School of Law, Paralegal, honors, 2007.
- University of Saarland Law School, Doctor of the Science of Law, magna cum laude, 1999.
- University of Saarland Law School, Master's in German Law, cum laude, 1996.
- University of Wrocław Law School, Master's in Polish Law, suma cum laude, 1994.
Areas of Practice: Insurance Defense Litigation, Complex Insurance Coverage, and Employment and Labor Law.
Before immigrating to the United States in 2005, Dorota worked as an Associate Legal Officer for the International Organization for Migration in Geneva, Switzerland. She was responsible for handling claims for the German Forced Labor Compensation Program, which ultimately resolved 35,000 Holocaust-era property loss claims and distributed over $100 million to successful claimants. Dorota was in charge of the legal and historical research regarding the involvement of German enterprises in the Nazi confiscation system in Poland. After moving to San Diego Dorota worked for 8 years at an AV Rated mid-size law firm specializing in Employment Law - Class Action Law Suits where she was assisting with all aspects of employment class action litigation.
Dorota is dedicated to pro bono work and volunteered at various non-profit organizations, including the International Rescue Committee and Jewish Family Center. There, she assisted Burmese and Russian refugees to adjust to their new lives in the USA. She provides services as a Volunteer Attorney for the Casa Cornelia Law where she represents pro bono unaccompanied minors who seeks an Juvenile Immigration Status.
Dorota is fluent in Polish and German, and speaks some Russian.
Licensed to Practice in: California since 2016.
- Saarbrücker Studien zum Privat- und Wirtschaftsrecht,. Vol. 15, Der Börsenzugang für Anleger in Deutschland und Polen: eine rechtsvergleichende Untersuchung zum deutschen Finanzkommissionsgeschäft und zum polnischen Brokerauftragsvertrag (A Comparative Study of German and Polish Stock Market Brokerage Contracts and their Compatibility with European Law). Frankfurt am Main: P. Lang, 2000.
- University of San Diego School of Law, Dean's Comparative Law Award, 2014.
- Konrad Adenauer Foundation Scholarship holder, 1994 -1999.