Partner in the San Diego and Los Angeles offices
Law School: Thomas Jefferson School of Law, 1997
Undergraduate: University of California, Santa Barbara, B.A. in Business Economics, 1990
Areas of practice: Bad Faith Defense, Complex Fraud Litigation, Commercial and Personal Lines Insurance Defense Workers’ Compensation and Personal Lines Insurance Coverage, and Examinations Under Oath (EUOs).
Mr. Straus has over 18 years of experience representing insurance companies as an attorney. Within his practice, he has conducted hundreds of depositions, mediations, discovery motions, motions for summary judgment/adjudication, as well as examinations under oath in large loss arson, property theft, auto, commercial, cargo, trucking, and specialty claims.
Mr. Straus was the first attorney in California to successfully assert a counter-claim for fraud using Insurance Code §1871.7, resulting in dismissal of the bad faith suit and his client being awarded a six-figure judgment on the counter claim.
Licensed to practice: in California since 1998; U.S. District Court, Southern District of California, since 1998; U.S. District Court, Central District of California, since 2012
- Liberty Mutual Group, Regional SIU Counsel.
- Brownwood, Chazen & Cannon, Attorney.
- San Diego County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Southern California Fraud Investigators Association (SCFIA)
- San Diego Insurance Adjusters Association (SDIAA)
- International Association of Special Investigation Units (IASIU)
- San Diego Insurance Adjusters Association (SDIAA), Legal and Legislative Chairperson for Board of Governors.
Marvin J. Straus is a frequent presenter to trade organizations, professional organizations, and business and insurance companies on topics involving the effective use of examinations under oath, fraud, coverage, liability defense, and bad faith issues.